Tuesday, August 14, 2007

yarr... me be having bluetooth on me moko!*

Haven't done much with my moko lately... been pretty busy with other stuff, but I've got a new 2007.2 image just put on it and now I'm going to start tinkering again.

Randomish aside: uBoot does not work with the ALI/ULI USB controller in my Opteron 165, with or without hub.

I set up Bluetooth using a 2-part sequence... this script (run as root) starts bluetooth

echo "1" > /sys/bus/platform/devices/gta01-pm-bt.0/power_on
echo "1" > /sys/bus/platform/devices/gta01-pm-bt.0/reset
echo "0" > /sys/bus/platform/devices/gta01-pm-bt.0/reset
sleep 1
hciconfig hci0 up
passkey-agent --default 0000 &

and then i use

pand -c 00:16:CB:1A:A1:C0

to connect it to my macbook with pand up and running. i use a static network instead of dhcp, so i changed the bnep0 section of /etc/network/interfaces in my moko to this:

# Bluetooth networking
iface bnep0 inet static

(* - pirate references courtesy of Bluetooth The Pirate from woot.com's podcasts)

Unsolved things, many of which answered in the wiki, but I need to do 'em...

- The best way to get this script in at boot (I'm going to have to init.d-ify the first)

- And can it run pand to a macbook that isn't there? Then I can just turn it on and be able to connect and do shell stuff.

- Quickest way to get it to connect to a keyboard.

- Will the new Apple Bluetooth Keyboard talk HID? If so that'd be a nice laptop-size keyboard - but I already have a targus ;)

- How do i get it to do DUN using my Nokia 6103i/t-mo EDGE?
(not terribly useful without a bt keyboard running for terminals and gtk-webkit... but then it'll be like a Nokia 770/n800!)

Monday, July 30, 2007

Interim update...

... because I don't have anything really interesting yet.

Looks and feels quite nice. The screen is indescribably sharp and it runs quite snappily.

The power management's a bit annoying - I wanted to show off my Neo to a friend in LA and I wasn't able to power it back up even wired up to my laptop's 500ma USB port. It would be nice to be able to power it up even without a battery! I also had to play with removing the battery a bit this morning... argh. Now I see why the Advanced kit has a second battery. ;)

I'm going to take a crack at getting cpufreq working - I had begun writing my own patch but then I found http://www.evolware.org/chri/paciugo/cpufreq.patch using a quick google search... so I'll add that to a local tree and try to get all the other periphs going along with it. Once voltage control is added it should save a measurable bit of battery life.

After seeing Koen's blog yesterday and noticing he used Angstrom I decided to build it myself. So far I have Angstrom w/GPE on and I'm building packages from the tree. Once I get my Bluetooth keyboard working I can use Pidgin. (I wonder how hard it is to use Bluetooth GPRS...)

A couple of build tips:

- I needed to add 'ENABLE_BINARY_LOCALE_GENERATION = "0"' to the sample local conf because trying to build locales using qemu-arm failed.

- Had one build failure in the x11 image phase - a glibc fault. This might've been my opty (although i hope not!) since I just ran it again and it worked...

GPE looks pretty nice - it's geared to 240x320 devices though so things tend to get a bit small on the Neo. I was able to resize the fonts a bit and get it working though. Also the Neo needs a flashier 'main' screen. But the elements are all there - Angstrom has recent/latest gtk+ and cairo libraries.

More later when I have something worked out - ala cpufreq or a local copy of the 2007.2 apps working ;)

Friday, July 27, 2007

Got my Neo!

- Home-built OpenMoko image, check.

- One Neo1973 phone, check.

- One hacker lunchbox, check.

- 2GB MicroSD card, check.

- One happy Chad, check.

- Getting image onto phone... not quite yet.

First blog post... done.